Instagram Moving To Interest Based Feed
By introducing an algorithm-based feed, Instagram seems to get into the shoes of Facebook. According to Instagram’s announcement, this particular social media platform will now arrange videos, photos, and images according to user interests.
According to ideas nurtured by Instagram, most of the users ignore almost 70% of feeds posted in their timelines, other than the ones catching their attention and interest areas. As the result, Instagram decides to arrange feeds that excite users the most. By making this particular alteration, the platform sincerely hopes to engage users as well as keep them up-to-date.
The Back Story
Although this news has created a buzz and evoked mixed reactions in the global arena, Instagram is not the only platform rolling out interest-based feeds. Twitter seems to have already made a mark for its exceptional personalized timeline feature. Twitter users will now get to view their tweets at the top of their respective feeds.
However, there are subtle differences in the way Twitter and Instagram works. While Twitter offers opt-out features, Instagram is yet to announce any such opt-outs.
Going to source reports, Instagram will not follow Twitter’s footsteps in this context. Quite naturally, all the old feeds and updates will still be available for users.
Benefits for Users
What we arrive at are the benefits of this new feature. According to tech experts and social media analysts, both users, as well as the platform, will reap the fruits of this brand new feature. Some of them are as follows:
- Personalized experience: By overhauling its conventional feed structure, Instagram will offer you a more personalized experience than ever! In practice, you will be game for highly critical and crucial updates from friends, celebrities, and people you know; which also means no random updates from acquaintances.
- Say no to chronology: The feature will make sure you have access to your favorite images and videos, whenever you wish to view them.
- No time-zone constraints: Irrespective of your location, you will never miss a thing; whether it is a concert, video or updates from close confidants.
Brownie Points for the Platform
The launch of this particular feature will also hugely benefit Instagram. Let’s find out how:
- As a social media platform or image sharing application, Instagram will get to follow user trends. Users will develop faith and reliability on the platform.
- Other than earning user trust, Instagram will also attract potential advertisers, thus enhancing revenues.
In spite of mixed feelings and reactions about this major change, let’s hope it brings good news for both Instagram loyalists and the platform.